Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, December 10, 2006

When the Holy Spirit Speaks to You

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” I Corinthians 3:16

As a Christian, you are well aware that sometimes God speaks to you so clearly that He leaves no room for doubt that it is Him.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.” Romans 8:14

Do I mean I hear His voice audibly? No. As my preacher sometimes says, it’s louder than that.

- - - - -

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” Galatians 5:17

I’ve not always liked what the Holy Spirit has said to me. Sometimes He tells me to do something I don’t have time to do. (“Witness to this person.”) Sometimes it’s something I have time to do, but I don’t want to do it. (“Forgive her. I forgave you.”)

Quench not the Spirit.” I Thessalonians 5:19

- - - - -

Sometimes He tells me not to do something. (“Don’t go to sleep just yet. You forgot your quiet time today.”)

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” Ephesians 4:30

- - - -
One thing I have learned in the short 7 years I’ve been saved. You can’t get away from Him. If He is calling you to do something, you are not only quenching the Spirit by not obeying, you are also causing yourself grief. If there is something He wants you to do, He will not leave you alone until you do it.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25

I searched for passages dealing with obedience to the Holy Spirit, and found in Philip the perfect example of how to respond to Him when He calls…

And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to him…” Acts 8:26-30

Notice that when the Spirit said “arise”, Philip arose. And then notice that when Philip was presented with the task that the Spirit wanted him to accomplish, He acted quickly. Look at the highlighted word: And Philip ran

Is that not we are to do? When God, the Almighty Creator of the Universe speaks to us, one of His creations, and honors us with a task to accomplish, should we not arise and run to the task? If we are surrendered daily to His will and His Spirit, we will gladly arise and run – trusting Him to work through us and accomplish His goal.

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.” Romans 8:5


Is God dealing with you about something? Is His Holy Spirit calling you to a task? What are you waiting for?

Arise. Run.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

There's nothing like that feeling. For me, it is a sudden idea that pops into my head, and a decisive inner voice that says "DO IT.", loudly, but calmly, yet with urgency. It is quite unlike my usual inner monologue, and so there is no doubt for me about who's speaking...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home