Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hate Speech Hotline

Boulder Colorado is setting up a "hate speech hotline".
Given the current trend of doing everything possible to silence Christians and take God and Jesus Christ out of the public domain, I'm wondering...if someone is sitting across from me at the bus station reading the DaVinci Code, and begins to carry on a conversation with me about how Jesus was really a fake and somehow crawled off the cross and went on to get married in live in France, could I call this hotline and send the thought police out to arrest this person who has offended me? Fat chance.


I was an agnostic for many years. I was never “attacked” or belittled by a Christian for being a sceptic. I saw many people who claimed to be Christians who fell far short of what a Christian is supposed to be according to the Bible. But I also found that some of the kindest, gentlest and most forgiving people I met were Christians. My husband is one of those people. I have met people of many faiths, including Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Athiests (yes, it's a "religion"), Jehovah’s Witnesses, and others. Some have been good people, some have not. One does not have to be a Christian to be a “moral” person. I considered myself a "moral" person when I was an agnostic, and I still consider myself a "moral" person now that I'm a Christian. Trouble is, being "moral" won't get you to heaven. (But I'll talk about that some other time.)
I have trouble with blanket statements written and spoken against Christians, and like other bigotry and prejudice, I feel compelled to speak out against those that attack so viciously. Making blanket negative statements about Christians is no different than making blanket statements about Blacks, Women, Jews or any other group of people. It is wrong and, to steal a term from the "politically correct" crowd, it is “mean-spirited”. So if Boulder wants to be consistent, they should treat anti-Christian speech with equal fervor as other so-called "hate speech".

Labels: , ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the Anti-Christian movements gaining strength and running wild in some cases, we Christians need to remember something. Yes we should stand against anti-Christian movements, but we need to get a hold of what causes 99% of this.
We as Christians have to long stayed in our "Boxed in" Religion mode. We go to church, sing a few songs, may or may not listen to a sermon and go home. We should be out and about in force telling the world the truth eye to eye. Only a born again heart can reveal through the Holy Spirit the real truth of Salvation and all other Bibical truths. In the last Three churches I attended I could not find one person to go with me to visit the lost and tell them about Jesus. No wonder the Anti-Christian movement is running strong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home