Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Friday, August 11, 2006

Struggling with the Inner Man

All Christians know the struggle well. We are new creatures in Christ (II Corinthians 5:17), yet the old man continually tries to rise from the dead and take over. As long as we dwell in this earth, the struggle will be there. The only way to overcome sin is to be totally and completely surrendered to the will of God, filled with the Holy Spirit. Some days we are surrendered, and we do well. Other days, our flesh wins and we end the day discouraged. But knowing this life is temporary, and knowing the glorious world that awaits us, we somehow keep going, pressing toward the mark (Philippians 3:13-14)

A delightful and talented man who is a brother in Christ wrote this, and it contains the essence of what a Christian's struggle is each and every day. Thank you, John Austin, for sharing your wonderful words of hope and encouragement.

Fight or Flight?

I know what to do and what is right
But cannot seem to perform it

Within me is desire of which I disagree
But cannot seem to stop it

The offences multiply against my will
Yet, I still fight. I hope for correction.

What spurs this battle long?
It seems all but loss (armor on and sword still swinging)

Curse this strain of mind that weakens!
Evil debating Good, the duel of wrong and right

To the point of breaking, I feel a refreshing wind
A Power borrowed strengthens me to fight

Sword piercing, I am given victory

I rest

I will fight another day


Scripture references:

II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 7:18-19
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Romans 7:24-8:1 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Labels:

Continue reading..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home