Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Souls Saved - Makes Everything Worthwhile

Last week was a stressful week. Trying to pray and prepare for each day's lesson for Vacation Bible School, in addition to work, my husband's business, my sick sister, my 11 year old nephew, a car in need of repair, and trying to spend some time with my husband who just returned from Kosova after a two-week mission trip, was almost most than I could handle.

But now the count is in, and I rejoice. Some 30 kids prayed this week to receive Jesus as their savior. Several parents got saved in the closing ceremonies. We had an average of over 400 each day, and got to teach little ones and older ones as well about the saving grace of God. We had fun, music, games, crafts, refreshments, lesson time, and for the older kids, a time of hearing the Gospel in the auditorium. I personally had the privilege of counseling numerous children about salvation, questions about baptism, the rapture, and even some off-the-wall questions (you never know for sure what's going through these kids' minds!).

But I did get to lead 5 boys and girls to the Lord, and that made everything worth it. There's nothing else quite like seeing that lightbulb go off in a child's mind and hearing the sweet prayer of repentance and asking of forgiveness and salvation that comes out of a child's mouth. And we counselors are trained not to push or prod, and if there's any doubt that the child does not fully understand, we coax them to keep thinking about it and come back to us when it finally clicks with them. But when they're ready, they're ready.

I remember several years ago having a rather rambunctious young man in my class who was giving me trouble daily. I was constantly having to correct him, make him quiet down and stop being so rowdy. He was all about having a good time, chowing down on refreshments, and running wild. On about the third day, he stopped long enough to actually listen to the Gospel presentation he heard in the auditorium time and he raised his hand to be counseled. I ended up with him, and looked him in the eye and asked him why he had raised his hand.

He said, "I need to get saved."

I suspected he was just curious about what went on when kids raised their hands and went off with the counselors, so I said, "that's great, Johnny, but our class is about to go to the gym and we're playing some really great games today. We can talk about this again tomorrow if you'd like.

He grinned and jumped up to leave, but then stopped. He turned around and looked at me with tears in his eyes. I asked, "What's wrong?".

He said,"I don't want to play games."

I said, "Well then, you can go get your ice cream and refreshments."

Again, he cried. He said, "I don't want to play games, and I don't want refreshments. I want to get saved."

I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this kid was ready. After we prayed, and discussed the decision he had just made, I told him that he was now my brother in Christ. With a big grin, he gave me a big hug, and went off to see if he could catch the end of the games time. For the rest of the week, he was a well behaved kid. And everytime he saw me, I'd say "Hi, brother" just to see that big grin come out on his face again.

I love it when the kingdom grows.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

3 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Neil said...

What a story! Thanks for sharing that. I never get tired of hearing about how people come to Christ. Blessings to you and those who put on such a great VBS program.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I'll swap prayers with you. Seriously.

Mama died. Wife took a job in another state. Gotta sell a house. Big Brother is alone and grieving Mama and calling me all the time, although with my own grief, and everything else, I'm not much help. Gotta find a job, Gotta move. Don't want to move, for a I like the job, and life, I have. BUt I love my wife, and God's will, surely we can agree, must sustain. Etc.

All of which is to just say: I need all the prayer, karma and happy happy thoughts I can get -- but I still have room in my heart to think of others, by God's grace.

So, I'll pray for you specifically tonight, and I ask the same from you, sister.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

ER, prayer is something I am honored to do. I love having a reason to go to the throneroom. So I have just written you in my prayer journal.

And while you are praying for me, please ask for strength and perseverence - I've got a lot of people depending on me, and I'm depending on God to see me through. I'm trying to care for a terminally ill sister, take care of an 11 year old nephew, work full time and help a grown son going through a major crisis in his life, plus serving on the praise team, choir, evangelizing, and helping my husband run a business.

Thanks for the offer of prayer for me and yes, I'll be glad to pray for your needs - specifically that God will comfort you in your loss of your Mom, plus help you sell your house quickly, find a great job in your new place, and give you and your wife bigger and better blessings.

Do me one favor, though. Keep me posted. I pray until God answers, and sometimes people forget to tell me when He does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home