Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Monday, June 4, 2007

Internet Anonymity

When one can post anonymously, it is sometimes tempting to some to be, shall I say, less than civil?

I frequent the webpage of our local newspaper and have noticed a pattern with many of the posters in the forums and comments sections. Rather than just disagreeing with people with opposing views by presenting their case, they frequently and quickly turn to name calling, insults, and acrimonious and vitriolic verbal abuse.

An example recently was a letter to the editor from a woman who was concerned that the newspaper was publishing too much graphic detail on sexual crimes being committed in the community. She said she had two children, one in Junior High and one in High School, and she felt compelled to have to censor the paper before allowing them to read it. She did not mention whether her kids were male or female, nor their ages. She did not call for censorship of the newspaper. She simply wrote a letter suggesting that the paper might want to consider being a little more discreet with some of the more graphic details of the crime. She sounded concerned, but was not demanding. It was simply a chance for her to voice her opinion.

The weasels came out of the woodwork.

Rather than disagree with her politely and state their reasons for differing with her, they attacked her like bullies on a playground. They suggested, among other things, that she start subscribing to “The Weekly Reader”, that if she had a daughter, she would probably end up pregnant because she was obviously raising her children to be naïve. They said she had her head in the sand and that they felt sorry for her kids and their “guaranteed ignorance”. They then accused her of thinking her kids could do no wrong and told her to “grow up”. They suggested she hide a tape recorder in her home and listen to the language her “little angels” use when she’s not around. She was told that her kids were guaranteed to be talking about using their genitals with someone else’s genitals and probably using the “F” word.

After reading these posts, I felt compelled to come to her defense. So I posted a comment saying that the disrespectful, spiteful remarks they were making against her made me question their ages – as their rhetoric was juvenile and immature. I pointed out that she simply voiced her concern over the graphic nature of some of the newspaper’s reporting and that she did not call for censorship. I then asked what was wrong with trying to raise your kids to have wholesome values. I closed by saying “Go ahead now, say something ugly about me next. I know you can’t wait.”

LOL! They proved my point. I was called an "idiot" and a “book burner”, and a "psycho parent". I was then told to let my kids out of the closet or basement every now and then.

They proved my point. They always do.


There is a verse in Proverbs that is one of my favorites in Scripture. There is great wisdom in its words. "Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge."

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

2 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind civil discourse, but I don't put up with Irrational complaints, and abusive personal attacks.

What I find, in a lot of what I talk about, the main people who have a problem with what I say, normally Hate Christianity, and Christians, and hate the truth found in God's word.

The ironic part is it usually from the same people who claim we hate and are intolerant.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Robert said: "The ironic part is it usually from the same people who claim we hate and are intolerant. "


Exactly right. And they really don't see that themselves. Reminds me of II Corinthians 4:4:

"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home