Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Friday, November 23, 2007

Do You Really Worship God?

If you are a Christian, you will most likely answer immediately.

"Yes, I worship God."

Do you really?

Worship as a noun means "worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being".

Worship as a verb means "to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power", "to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion". It can also mean "to show devoted deferential honor to : regard as worthy of great honor".

Do you think going to church is worshipping God?
Is singing a hymn or praise song worshipping God?
Teaching a Sunday School Class?
Working in a Ministry?

Depends. All of the things I listed above can be a form of worship. But it's not dependent on how well you perform each activity, or how dedicated you are to them, or how talented or gifted you are.

If your heart does not long for God, if you do not figuratively or literally fall on your face before Him when you come to Him, you are not truly worshipping Him.

When you are truly worshipping God, several things happen.


You realize how holy He is and what a depraved sinner you are.

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. Isaiah 6:5

When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. Luke 5:8

You look forward to opportunities to spend time with Him.

My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. Psalms 84:2

For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. Psalms 84:10

You want to sing to Him and about Him.

Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Psalms 100:2

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16

You want to serve Him.

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. Isaiah 6:8

You want to tell others about Him.
Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? John 4:29

When is the last time you truly worshipped God?

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for challenging us to not pay worship lip-service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home