Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tony Blair a "Closet" Christian?

I recently heard about a Pakistani preacher and his son being beaten and left for dead because they would not renounce their faith - and the little boy, when his father crawled over to him, whispered, "we didn't renounce our Lord, did we, Daddy".
Incidences like that make me realize how wimpy we American Christians are. Most of us are too embarrassed to share our faith or stand up for what we believe in for fear of what people will say about us. Evidently, it's not just we American Christians who are wimps when it comes to our faith.

Tony Blair has said that he is sorry that he felt uncomfortable revealing his faith while in office for fear he would be considered a nut job. This article goes on to say that Blair’s faith was and is an important part of his life.

A “closet” Christian?

So, are you, the reader, a “closet” Christian?

Brings to mind these Scriptures:

For whosoever shall be ashamed of Me and of My words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when He shall come in His own glory, and in His Father's, and of the holy angels. Luke 9:26

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. Romans 9:33

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. Romans 10:11

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. II Timothy 2:15

And one last one, that really says more than any of the others...

And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. I John 2:28>

Labels: , ,

Continue reading..

4 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Neil said...

I'd rather be out of the closet.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

LOL! If you knew the back-and-forth I've been involved with today over at this blog!http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/11/how_much_science_matters_to_the_average.php

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Dardin Soto said...

Ms. Green,

As someone not of any Faith per se, I have a somewhat cold and clinical approach to this topic, but can see how there is an inherent apprehension from any person, -not just politicians-, to hold their faith close to their vest. One's faith or ethos of philosophy is a double-edged sword that can be used against us selectively during adverse times.

In my view, why open yourself to ridicule or judgement?... Religion or one's philosophy or spirituality should be -at least in my view-, just like sex,.... don't talk about it, just do it.

... But thats just me...

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

TP, I completly understand your thinking here, and it makes perfect sense on the one hand. However, being an Evangelical, Born again Christian, I am told by Scripture to not be ashamed of my faith, and to always be ready to give a reason for it. In other words, it is commanded that we (I and others with like belief) tell everyone about our faith.

So my point was, that I am having trouble with Blair saying he has a strong Christian faith, but then he is afraid to talk about it publicly.

I appreciate your input!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home