Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Monday, June 16, 2008

Are there No Good Samaritans Left?

I know people don’t like to get involved these days, but when I read something like this I really wonder about the collective state of mind of the people of this country today.

Excerpts are in italics.

A man parked his truck on a country road outside Turlock (outside of San Francisco) on a Saturday night, removed a baby boy from a car seat and then beat the child to death in the street, fighting off passers-by who tried to stop him, until he was gunned down by a police officer whose helicopter landed in a nearby pasture, police said Sunday.


First an elderly couple called in on their cellphone. I can possibly understand an elderly couple not wanting to get involved.

From what the article says, several people “tried” to do something about this man beating a child to death but were unsuccessfrul.

…others called as well, and some witnesses stopped and tried to halt the attack on the child.


What does “tried to halt” mean? “Mister, could you please quit beating that baby, you might hurt him.”

It actually mentions only one person physically getting involved.

One (person) tried to intervene, and the suspect pushed him off and continued assaulting the baby.


Pushed him off? Anybody ever heard of a tire tool? Surely somebody who stopped COULD have done something if they really wanted to.

I can only go by what this article says, and it sure seems to indicate that multiple people saw this crime happening, but basically no one really did the right thing. I can just about guarantee that if this had happened in Louisiana, the man would have been shot by somebody and possibly the child would have been saved.

Even without a weapon of any kind, the article indicates that multiple people stopped – what about just physically overpowering the man?

The Stanislaus County coroner's office told police that the agency may have to identify the boy through a DNA test because he was beaten beyond recognition.


Disturbing. Very disturbing.
Continue reading..

6 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, very disturbing. It reminds me of the extreme pacifists who would reason that no violence should have been used to stop the murder. Hard to judge it completely without being there, but it sounds like more should have been done.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

Demon. I can't think of any other word that fits this guy short of extreme expletives. Nothing seems to be a worthy appellation. The word "coward" fits most of those who witnessed this abhorent act without affecting a satisfying resolution. The article said the guy had tunnel vision and no matter what bystanders attempted, he would simply resume his heinous actions. How could it be possible that no one had the same compulsion to insure this scumbag was stopped, by whatever means necessary, and with extreme prejudice? I don't know that I could be restrained from exacting justice for the child. I could not live with myself knowing that I was among those who did nothing and let the child die in so horrible a manner. May God forgive those people.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Marshall, I felt the same anger you did. To stand there and do nothing - for there to have been no one who would be willing to pick up a rock, or a tire tool, or flag another car down and pick up strength in numbers....something! Anything...to stop this evil.

This story will long stay in the back of my mind to haunt me.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What does “tried to halt” mean?"

For me it would mean my hands wrapped around a tire iron and said tire iron wrapped around the back of a cowardly infant beaters head.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Exactly my point, John. Thank you.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

I have to say that as I consider this story, and my response to it, it is clear that I would be oblidged to be as Christian as possible, even in such an exteme scenario as this one. But, as Neil suggests, there are those who would have trouble doing whatever it takes to stop the guy (if they aren't really cowards using pacifism as an excuse). I'd like to think that I could be as savage as the situation would require until the jerk was subdued and unable to persist, but then turn it off. But I wouldn't lose much sleep if I went a few whacks beyond that point. It's easier to ask forgiveness than to bring back to life a murdered child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home