Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, April 8, 2007

What If? - Easter Morning

This morning, as I celebrated the resurrection of my Saviour, I wondered what others who don't believe in the resurrection would celebrate today?


I got a card from someone saying that Easter is about Family, Friends, Good Times, and Love.

But that's not what Easter is about. It's only a part of it. Easter is about the fact of the resurrection. Easter is about a God Who has given every person on earth a chance to gain eternal life in heaven with Him - through His Son - not through our deeds.

Name one person you know that is without sin.

You can't.

Even people we consider "good people" have sin in their lives. And in the depths of our hearts lie unspoken evil thoughts and wishes that we manage to bury and never allow to come out - but they are still there, because we are flawed and imperfect. What makes us think we could do anything to compare with or to impress a holy and perfect God?

Pride keeps people from coming to Christ.
Judgementalism keeps people from coming to Christ.("I'm as good as anybody in that church - in fact, some of them are nothing but hypocrites".)

But the truth is, everybody in that church is a sinful human being who, in God's plan, deserves to go to hell. Even the preacher. The difference between them and the lost world is that they came to a point in their lives where they realized that, and saw that God had made a way for them to conquer their sin - through trust in His Son and what He did to pay their sin debt.

There is no place in Scripture that says I have to like everything God says, or that I have to like God's plan. It only says I have to be obedient to Him, and that if I want eternal life in heaven, I have to swallow my pride, admit I'm a sinner, and accept His free gift of salvation through faith. Once I've done that, He takes over my life through His Holy Spirit, and guides and teaches me through the rest of my life.
And gives me Joy.
And gives me Peace.

What if Christians are wrong? What have I lost? I have peace and joy, and assurance of heaven.

But what if you are wrong? Just what if?
What about your spouse?
Your children?
Your family?
Your friends?
What if? Is your pride worth the risk?
Are you so sure that Christians are wrong, and that Jesus was not Who He said He was?
Are you willing to risk your eternity on it?

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:3-5

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

4 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Neil said...

She's back! Back into my blog favorites folder you go!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Dan Trabue. (By his own calculations, I would guess.)

Easter is about an event unique to the Christian faith. Our saviour lives while others rot in the ground.

Glad you're back, Ms. Green!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I've tried over the last couple of months to pick up your slack, but I'm glad you're back... I need a break.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

He needs a break.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home