Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Friday, November 30, 2007

William F. Buckley Jr.'s Irreverent use of God's Name

I have been a follower and admirer of William F. Buckley Jr. for many years. His intellect, wit, and insightful commentary on the world around us has entertained, provoked, and educated me in many ways. However, he has crossed a line that I cannot ignore by titling his new book, CANCEL Your Own Go****am SUBCRIPTION. Not only do I think this will be looked back on as a major faux pas, but I think his irreverence toward his Maker will cause him to lose many of his readers. I was so disappointed and appalled by this extremely poor choice of a book title that I wrote the following letter to National Review today.

I have been a reader of National Review for quite sometime, both in print and online. I have always had the highest respect for Mr. Buckley and his insights into the world, politics, religion, and culture etc. I don’t always agree with him, because we all have our own ideas and preferences on any given subject. However, there comes a time when conviction takes priority in a particular situation, and this is one of them.

After learning of Mr. Buckley’s new book title, I am not only severely disappointed at his succumbing to pop-culture, but my convictions will not allow me to knowingly financially support an individual whose talents and intellect come from God, but who chooses to insult that God by flippantly using His name in vain in direct violation of God’s commands.

I will not be renewing my subscription, and pray that Mr. Buckley will see the egregious mistake he has made and make things right – first of all with his Creator, and secondly, with his readers.


Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Exodus 20:7

Labels:

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I would certainly NEVER buy a book with such a title. I'd be embarrassed to carry it to the checkout counter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home