Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Are you in Darkness?

I was listening to the radio the other day (Christian of course) and there was a short commentary by a preacher in between two of the songs. This is basically what he said, and it was so profound to me that I wanted to share it. You younger folks won't remember a time when there wasn't a light switch on the wall, but hang in there - you'll get the message anyway.


Remember when there were no light switches on the wall? If you wanted to turn a light on in the room, you had to pull a string at the light bulb itself. If it happened to be dark, you had to literally walk through the room where you knew the bulb was with your hand up in the air, waving it around, looking for the string. You knew the light was there. You knew the string was there. You couldn’t see, but you lifted up your hand and moved around until you found it.


Are you in darkness? (You see where I’m going with this, don’t you?) Jesus is there to give you light. Maybe you can’t see Him, but you know He is there. So while you are in your darkness, lift up your hand and reach for Him until you find Him. You know He’s there! You know He is LIGHT. Just keep your hand in the air and search until you find Him. When you do, He will give you light! In fact, why not lift up both your hands in the air – you might find Him more quickly! Praise the Lord.


For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. Psalms 18:28

Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. Psalms 112:4

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. Isaiah 9:2

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through Him might believe. John 1:6-7

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. John 3:19-20

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12


Continue reading..

6 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me... Going by the example you gave:

- Either God is not 'smart enough' (like a dumb electric bulb) to help people who are in darkness. Remember, people are looking for help...but he wouldn't help them because they didn't 'find' him?

- Or, he is not compasionate enough to help people in darkness who are looking for light only because they couldn't 'find' him.

If there is a God, I would expect him to be smarter and more compassionate. Don't you think so?

Imagine this - your own son or daughter is in darkness. They know that they are in darkness. And, they are looking for 'switch' (help). Would you just sit there and expect them to find the 'help' or...jump in and provide them the help they are looking for?

Sorry for the long post. But, in my opinion, the examples like in your post ends up belittling the very God you believe in.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Either God is not 'smart enough' (like a dumb electric bulb) to help people who are in darkness. Remember, people are looking for help...but he wouldn't help them because they didn't 'find' him?

Actually, the opposite is true. God says “seek and ye shall find”. He will not turn anyone away who comes to Him in repentance and asks to be saved.

- Or, he is not compasionate enough to help people in darkness who are looking for light only because they couldn't 'find' him.

I refer to my previous response. Plus, God is “not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance

If there is a God, I would expect him to be smarter and more compassionate. Don't you think so?

I think that a God Who would lower Himself to be born as a man, grow up and live a sinless life, and then suffer a horrible agnonizing torture and death for people who spit on Him, reject Him, and blaspheme His name is a pretty compassionate God. Don't you think?

Imagine this - your own son or daughter is in darkness. They know that they are in darkness. And, they are looking for 'switch' (help). Would you just sit there and expect them to find the 'help' or...jump in and provide them the help they are looking for?

Did you read any of the Scripture I posted? Or did you skip over that part?

By the way. I have a question for you, American. (Since you didn't answer my last one)

Do you admit that the possibility exists that I may be right in that I believe there is only one way to God, and that way is through Jesus Christ?

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"seek and ye shall find" - Doesnt answer my question. Instead, it proves my point that God (if there is one) either doesn't care about people in 'darkness' or doesn't have enough compassion to help them.

Ask yourself - God loves everyone, right? When you love everyone, why would you wait till someone in the darkness finds you?? We don't wait till poor people approach us, Do we? We volunteer our help to poor people out there. If you have to 'seek and find' him - he is not better than a dumb switch hanging in there. (sorry - didn't mean to offend ur feelings in anyway by using the word 'dumb').

Now, as to your question:
As I have said in the past - I seek truth. So, I keep my mind open on all possibilities. Yes, there is a possibility that there is a God(not proved yet). Yes, there could be only one God OR multiple Gods OR no God! I really don't know.

There is also a possibility that God may not be what we think of him. He could be something like thunder or sun or storm. (remember, many earlier religions worshipped natural forces as God because they didn't fully understand how it all worked).

Let me end this long post with an example: Take for example 'water'. We call it 'water' in english. It exists for everyone in this world but we call it by different names depending on which language you speak in. What if we say our 'water' is the only true water. All other language words used to describe 'water' are 'false'? So, it's possible that we are all referring to the same entity when we use the word 'God' (if there is one).

Thanks again for letting me express my opinion here.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Let me end this long post with an example: Take for example 'water'. We call it 'water' in english. It exists for everyone in this world but we call it by different names depending on which language you speak in,.

This is not a good example, and I will tell you why. Water is inanimate and cannot define itself. God has defined Himself for us. All religions do not worship the true God. For example, Allah and God are not the same person. Neither are the many "gods" of Hinduism the real God.

I've posted several things explaining why Allah and God are not the same person, so I won't go into that here.

You say on the one hand that you seek the truth, but then you seem to think the truth can never be found. Seems like a hopeless situation for you to be in.

So I ask again, If there is one God, and if He has made only one way to Him, how will you find that way?

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments on other religions show your arrogance at the best. This is precisely the tone of fanatics.

I never said that 'truth' could never be found. You are trying put words in my mouth. Truth can be found and will be found. That's how science has unlocked so many things till now.

As to your question on how to find the way: Well, you keep looking like we did in all other cases. Honestly, it's quite dissappointing that we have to 'find' him. If he was so powerful and great, he would just show up. He won't act like a dumb 'electric switch' from your exaple.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

American,

I have been patient with your posts. I haven't called you names. I haven't accused you of anything. I've simply posed questions for you to ponder. I've made observations based on your own words. I've asked questions about comments you have made.

In return, you call me arrogant. You don't really read my posts, or if you do, you misinterpret them. Other times you totally ignore what I say. When you do respond, you frequently twist the things I say, and you insult my God.

Unless your tone changes, and you appear to truly want to dialog and seek the truth rather than simply write posts to provoke or antagonize, I will have to ask you to leave and will no longer allow your posts.

There is no malice in my heart toward those who don't believe in Jesus - only a want to see them come to faith in Him. I allow 99% of the comments on this blog to be posted, but when it comes to a point that there is absolutely nothing productive being accomplished, that will end.

One last thought.

Science will never "prove" God. It has already shown vast evidences of God, but the nature of knowing God is that we must come to Him in faith. He says that without faith, it is impossible to please Him. Until you search with your heart, and not just your mind, you will not find Him. God hates pride, and no one can be saved who has not repented of their pride. We have to come to Him as a child to a Father, not as a demanding adult to another adult.

Once you've come to Him in faith and repentance, He will open your eyes and answer a lot of the questions you have now. But you have to ditch that pride first. That's a hard thing to do. I know.

I'm still praying for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home