Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Atheism is a Religion

Atheists have increased their attacks against what they call "religion" since the 9/11 attacks, and have lumped all religions into one, saying that religion leads to violence because of intolerance, that religion is just a crutch for the weak, and that any rational, intellectual, scientific individual knows that there is no God.


When confronted with arguments to the contrary, they usually (though not always) result to ad hominem attacks against whomever would dare to disagree with them. But then, atheists are like Christians, or any other group of people - some are nice, others are jerks - it works that way with all humans.

The truth is, atheism has all the components of a religion,and is based on beliefs.

They believe there is no God.
They have doctrine (a set of ideals that they are taught and teach others)
They have "historical fathers"
They have their present priests/elders (leaders)
They have a lawgiver and set of rules and standards (they are their own God, and their own lawgiver)
They believe in their wordview
They believe theirs is the only truth.

I actually have a little more respect for atheists than agnostics. Atheists at least on the surface, are more sure of themselves, and tend to stand up for what they believe in. Agnostics on the other hand, tend to not defend themselves too much or attack a belief in God unless they are cornered into it, at which time they can be just as vicious as an atheist. Having been a former agnostic, I understand their postion better than I can an atheist's, but know that inside, the agnostic just isn't sure - but is hoping he's not wrong.

Atheists mock Christian's belief in heaven - a place of eternal joy that we receive at the end of this life - having put our faith in Jesus for our salvation.

Atheist's heaven is on earth - it's a place where they can do whatever they want to, whenever they want to, with whomever they want to - as a result of their belief that there is no God.

Atheists are sometimes frustrating to try to converse with, because they are so often hostile, but "liberal" or "progressive" Christians are sometimes equally so. That seems a little strange, but when one realizes that progressives are in some cases no closer to Christianity than an atheist, it doesn't seem so strange.

Atheists, agnostics, liberal progressives...they can all be saved. And many from all three of these groups have been. I'm one. I know a considerable number of others. So if someone you care for false into one of these three categories, don't give up. Keep praying for them. Watch God work. He does still save.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

11 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Neil said...

Agnostics are a bit irrational in that while claiming not to know about God they actually think they know quite a bit: That He hasn't revealed himself to us in a way that we could understand, for example, or that He is unknowable.

Sometimes atheists/agnostics are being lazy, and sometimes they are just in rebellion. I know, because I used to be in those categories. I thank God for opening my eyes.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What’s wrong in questioning? If it’s not for science and questioning, we wouldn’t have this blog and discussion.

I don’t believe in ‘labeling’ either. If I really have to, I would put people in two categories: ‘Open minded’ and ‘Close Minded’. You can be religious and still be ‘open minded’. You can be an atheist and still be an ignorant ‘close minded’ person. Honestly, I fear and stay away from ‘close minded’ people – it doesn’t matter what their ‘beliefs’ are!

In any case, living a good, harmless life is not a sin.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"What’s wrong in questioning?"

Ask that of an evolutionist, American.

I'll do it!

Hey, American...what's wrong with questioning the THEORY of evolution?

The soundness of the theory?

The agenda behind the theory?

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"In any case, living a good, harmless life is not a sin."

While we're questioning...who gets to decide what is and isn't "living a good, harmless life"?

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

American,

Labeling isn't always a bad thing. It depends on what you are labeling, and what the label is.

I've been labeled by many as being a Fundamentalist Christian.

I don't consider that a negative thing - I AM a fundamentalist Christian.

You are an atheist, or at the very least, an agnostic...am I right?

Do you consider either of those labels to be "negative"?

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ al-ozarka:
Nothing wrong in questioning 'evolution'. That's the idea behind science. You ask questions and find answers. As you know, science is all about seeking truth. But it's based on facts, not 'beliefs'!
As to your question on 'living a good life': there are some universal rules and some grey areas. Some of them are common sense and some of them are consensus. So, it's not all that hard.

@ Green:
Labeling isn't always a bad thing. But it could be a silly thing when you really don't know what you are talking about.
It all boils down to two fundamental types: The ones who are willing to take a look at other views (Open minded) and the ones who are not willing to look at other views(close minded).
I think you are wrong in labeling me again. I would call myself a 'truth seeker'. I have issues in believing things that are not proved yet.

It's not about my ego or blind belief in anything. It's the sheer joy of seeking truth.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

I would call myself a 'truth seeker'. I have issues in believing things that are not proved yet.


That is a wonderful place to be, American. I'm glad to hear you say you are a truth seeker - because if you continue, and are sincere, you will discover the truth. God says "But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.(Deuteronomy 4:29), "Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.(I Chronicles 16:11),"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you":(Matthew 7:7), and "Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near".

Keep seeking American. I'm praying for you.





It also says, "And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the LORD. (II Chronicles 12:14) and "The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts".(Psalms 10:4)

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a serious note, you brought tears in my eyes! Nothing fascinates me as much as 'seeking truth'.

I know - we disagree on many things. We have different views. But, we shouldn't give up on each other. Thanks for praying. Trust me - I want you to see the truth as much as you want me to. I'm trying my best! :)

Peace.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"But it's based on facts, not 'beliefs'!"

Sorry, but...not true. Evolutionary "science" is completely based on beliefs just as creation science.

The "facts" that support the evolution theory are just as supportive of the creation scenario.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The "facts" that support the evolution theory are just as supportive of the creation scenario".

Really?

If so...what stops you (or people like you) from presenting this in academic circles? Also, I am wondering...who is the 'creator' in your creation scenario? Is he still around? If so, Do you have any proof for him as well? I've a long list of things for him to 'create' so we can get rid of many problems in this world.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger John J. Kaiser said...

They've also increased their attacks on Christian websites (see Neil's site). ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home