Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Obama and Clinton Interviews at Gay.com

You can read the full interviews linked below if you can stomach the ads surrounding the articles.

From Clinton’s interview:


You told the Philadelphia Gay News that you would “do everything to eliminate any disparities in any benefit or rights under our law at the federal level.” If you are unable to capture the nomination, will you return to the Senate and introduce legislation repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the Defense of Marriage Act?

SENATOR CLINTON: I have long been on record supporting equality in benefits and eliminating discrimination against gays and lesbians. I support repealing the provision of the Defense of Marriage Act that may prohibit the federal government from providing benefits to people in states that recognize same sex marriage. I strongly support ensuring people in stable, long-term same sex relationships have full equality of benefits, rights, and responsibilities.
I support repealing the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. Courage, honor, patriotism and sacrifice - the traits that define our men and women in uniform - have nothing to do with sexual orientation. I’m concerned that the military is discharging people with critical skills - including desperately needed Arabic language skills. Our close allies, Great Britain and Israel, have changed their policies to allow gays to serve in the military without dire consequences. This is a matter of national security and I will fix it.

At this time LGBT Americans do not have access to marriage or civil unions at the federal level. Basic familial rights - inheritance, hospital visitation, etc. - are out of the grasp of most gay couples, like those here in North Carolina. How will you address the basic human rights of these families?

SENATOR CLINTON: I believe gay and lesbian couples should have all the same rights, responsibilities, and benefits as all Americans. As President, I will work to ensure that all Americans in committed relationships have equal benefits - from health insurance and life insurance, property rights, and more - through civil unions.

From Obama’s interview:


Many LGBT activists will say that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have our community’s best interest at heart. What do you say to such statements?

SENATOR OBAMA: I have had a clear and long-standing commitment to LGBT equality. I worked for many years as a member of the Illinois Senate to enact a fully inclusive anti-discrimination law, the Illinois Human Rights Act, which protects against discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in the workplace, housing and places of public accommodation. We succeeded in enacting that law just as I was leaving for the U.S. Senate. I support the complete repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act and the complete equalization of rights and benefits for same-sex couples at the federal level. I will work to eradicate the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy and enact the Matthew Shepard hate crime law and a fully inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
The second thing I will say relates to the priorities of people who advocate for the LGBT community. I have always said that I don’t think that the LGBT community should take its cues from me or some political leader in terms of what they think is right for them. Real change comes from the bottom up, not the top down. As your President, I will fight to make LGBT equality a reality at the federal level. But it is the LGBT community that has to decide what is in their best interest, and to help make it happen by engaging actively with the political process.

Are there any out LGBT citizens in the running for possible presidential appointments should you win the nomination and general election?

SENATOR OBAMA: It is premature to talk about presidential appointments while we are still determining who will be the nominee, but I can certainly say that out LGBT citizens will be included in the appointments to my administration.

Labels: , , ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Neil said...

I wasn't up to watching the ads and I think those comments say enough. Sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home