Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes

I've counseled quite a few young people in my life, and I'm always humbled by the experience, as well as overjoyed.

I had the great pleasure of witnessing to a young lady this week who ended up praying to accept Jesus as her Saviour. I shared my testimony with her first, telling her about my life of agnosticism and the eventual realization of my sinful nature and my asking Jesus to forgive me for my sins and save me. She and I prayed together, and she told me afterwards she'd never felt so happy in her whole life.

This girl was not only ecstatic about her new found salvation, but she brought a friend to me today who was interested in knowing more about the plan of salvation, but who still had questions. I'm not sure who was doing more witnessing - she or I. Finally, the friend admitted that she didn't think she was quite ready, and didn't fully understand. I told her that was ok, that once she did fully understand, she didn't have to depend on me or anyone else for that matter - she could simply pray to God, ask forgiveness for her sins, and ask Jesus to save her.

To which her friend (my new little convert) replied. "It's ok. You need to really understand what you are doing before you get saved. It takes some people longer than others to fully understand it. It took Ms Green 41 years to understand it."

I had a hard time not grinning from ear to ear. Indeed, Skyler, it did take me 41 years to understand it. Some of us are a little slow I guess.

Thankfully, God is longsuffering.

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." II Peter 3:9

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

7 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great set of testimonies! I love how you and the young lady aren't pressuring her friend. Some people "push for a decision" and it becomes counterproductive.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Neil, you are so right. Pushing for a decision is trying to take the job of salvation into one's own hands. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts and draws, not man.

I believe the young lady will be ready very soon, and I'm thankful she has a friend like Skyler who will be there for her when she does make that decision.

I've met grownups who thought they were saved because they prayed a prayer once that they didn't understand and then got baptized. When they realized that they had been depending on some prayer and getting wet to get them to heaven, they came to God on His terms and really got saved.

When dealing with children, one must take the responsibility very seriously. Eternities are at stake, and I don't want to be held accountable for pressuring someone to do something they don't want to, or don't understand. It's not about numbers. It's about souls.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your blog, and your great testimony to how Christ is working in your life.

I was saved at the age of 31 (I'm 38 now). When I worked with teens a few years back, I would testify myself and tell them that it took 31 years before I was ready... but that it was in God's perfect timing. I was saved right when God needed me to stand up for something (long story).

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Thanks Kevin.*smile*

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

So you're saying that knocking someone to the ground, sitting on their chest whilst clutching their lapels screaming, "Accept Him! Accept Him!" right in their face, is the wrong way to go? OK. I'll stop doing that. :)

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

"So you're saying that knocking someone to the ground, sitting on their chest whilst clutching their lapels screaming, "Accept Him! Accept Him!" right in their face, is the wrong way to go?

Hey, sounds like you are just being zealous!! *grin*

Seriously, not everyone needs to be witnessed to in the same way. Most people will respond to the love of Christ when they fully understand it, but some people really do need an "in your face" approach. Let the Spirit lead, I guess.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"So you're saying that knocking someone to the ground, sitting on their chest whilst clutching their lapels screaming, "Accept Him! Accept Him!" right in their face, is the wrong way to go? OK. I'll stop doing that."

What...no scimitar?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home