Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Souls Saved

Then they that gladly received his word … and the same day there were added unto them…souls.” Acts 2:41

One of our Mexican members’ father died. I honestly don’t know if he was saved or not. Most of her family is Catholic and though she has tried to be a witness, she has met some resistance. Catholicism is tradition. I know first hand. It’s hard to convince a Catholic that maybe something isn’t quite right and that maybe salvation is not rules and regulations and not found through a church, but through a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Our pastor drove a hundred miles one way to visit with her and encourage her during her father’s visitation at the funeral home. The next day would be the funeral mass, and most of the family was in town for the funeral and many were there at the funeral home visitation. She pulled our pastor aside and asked him, “If I can gather all my family together for a few minutes, would you preach to them?” He said he would. She got them all to gather in one room and he talked to them (preached) about life and death, God’s plan for salvation, and the Gospel that tells us that there is only one way to be saved…

At the end of the sermon, at least 18 of her family members prayed to receive Christ as their Saviour (he said he counted up to 18, but thinks there were a few more), including several senior citizens in the group.

Yes! Hallelujia. They won’t hear the Gospel tomorrow at the mass, but they heard it today. She followed the will of the Holy Spirit and pastor did what he was called to do, and now 18 people are on their way to heaven as a result.

Labels:

Continue reading..

4 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

Your post troubles me. I grew up in the Roman Catholic tradition, attending a Catholic elementary school through 8th grade. My last visit to a Catholic service was a couple of years ago when I took my aging mother (my brother usually does the honors as he is still Catholic--I think). I don't remember ever NOT hearing the gospel preached, and we're talking two different parishes and several different priests. Can I assume you mean the gospel without all the Catholic traditions, rituals and, uh, extra stuff? I think most of the essentials remain. I left for the things that seemed to be added after a personal study of the Bible. I'm now a Druid. (Kidding)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Marshall, you may very well have attended Catholic services that did preach the Gospel. I know there are some. But I was raised in Catholicism for 20 years and never heard a clear presentation of the Gospel. And the official Roman Catholic position is that you are saved by works, not grace.

I became an agnostic because of what I saw and heard in the RCC, so I am honestly not speaking second hand.

There is a RCC church here in my town that I have no doubt the priest is saved and preaches the Gospel. Without exception, everyone I or my husband has met who was a member appears to be truly saved. But this is the exception, not the rule.

Evidently our church member knew her family was not hearing the Gospel, or she wouldn't have asked our pastor to speak to them for the purpose of presenting to them the Gospel.

Druid????? *grin*

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

I haven't been to more than I've indicated, Ms. Green, but I simply hesitate to paint them all with the same brush. You may be right about the official position, but I'll have to research that, as I don't recall my training from over 40 years ago. Seems to me I recall that the prime directive was acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior. It's the rest of the extra stuff that turned me off.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

You have made some very legitimate statements and I feel compelled to answer them. Sometime this week, when I have time, I will post some Catholic doctrines - not just what "I've heard", but straight from their own documents and publications so that any who want to can go see for themselves.

Most Catholics I've met don't know all the false doctrines that their church teaches and some will argue with me and say it's not true. But the Church of Rome is full of false anti-Scriptural doctrines, especially on the subject of salvation. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it - so like I said, I'll devote a post to some of these doctrines later on this week.

I do it not out of hate or judgement of anyone, but of warning of a church that preaches a false gospel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home