Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Monday, May 5, 2008

Praying Scripture

[Note: also see Scriptures on the Loss of a Loved One]


Neil over at 4Simpsons posted this article, and in reading it, I noticed the suggestion to Pray Scripture, which led me to this post, because something that I sometimes do in my prayer time is use God’s own Word to word my prayers to Him. I seem to receive a more powerful answer to my prayer when I speak it this way. God’s Word has great power. God speaks to me through His Word. Why not use His Word in my prayers back to Him?

Some examples:


Prayer for a lost loved one

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” II Peter 3:9 God, I know that you are not willing that my loved one die and go to hell. Please continue to draw them and show them their need for salvation and the truth of your love for them through Christ’s suffering and death on the cross.

Lord, 1 Timothy 2:4 says “Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” God I’m trusting in Your Word and asking that you show my loved one the truth so that he/she might be saved.

Prayer for a sick loved one

And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.” Matthew 9:35 Jesus, You have the power to heal all sickness and disease. I pray that you would heal my loved one.

And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, Heal her now, O God, I beseech thee.” Numbers 12:13. Oh Lord, my cry is as desperate as the cry of Moses for his sister. I beseech Thee to heal my loved one.

Prayer for guidance in a decision

The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.” Psalm 25:9. Lord, I come to you humbly and ask for your guidance in my decision. Teach me Your way.

I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.” Psalm 32:8 Lord I ask that you guide me in the decision that I make. Show me the way I should go.


Prayer for help with a boss or authority figure

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.” Proverbs 29:2 Lord, you know my circumstances. I pray that you would put a righteous man in authority over me, that I may rejoice.


I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.” I Timothy 2:1-2. God, I pray for my authority, that you would guide them and give them wisdom so that I may have the peace and quiet you have promised.

Prayer for financial help

Father, your Word says about King Uzziah “… and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper.” II Chronicles26:5. God, you know my heart, and that I am truly seeking after You. Please make me to prosper for your glory.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.” Psalm 1:1-3 Lord, I want to be like that tree, bringing forth fruit. Please make me worthy of this.


Ok, you get the idea. I’ll let you think up your own prayer words. These are just suggested verses to mix in there with them.

Prayer for encouragement

But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him: for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which thou shalt see.” Deuteronomy 3:28

Prayer for comfort in mourning the death of a loved one

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.” Psalm 34:18

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.” Matthew 5:4

Prayer for wisdom in a situation

For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” James 1:5

There are verses that cover these situations as well…


Prayer for safety
Prayer for endurance
Prayer for success
Prayer against wicked individuals
Prayer for protection from the evil deeds of others
Prayer for healing


I’m sure I’m leaving out many others, but hopefully I’ve gotten the idea across.

Next time you go to God in prayer, trying praying His Word along with your own. You might just be amazed at the results.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link and for the great examples. One of my favorite devotionals is "Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship." It has 90 days worth of prayers based on scripture.

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Praying-Scriptures-Intimate-Worship/dp/0310925509/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210113161&sr=8-2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home