Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Churches - Are They Safe from Violence?

I have a CCP (concealed carry permit). That means that I am legally certified to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection. I have taken multiple firearms and self protection courses throughout my life, have been an avid hunter and supporter of the 2nd Amendment. In my state, and in 30 other states, I can legally carry. There are exceptions. There are some places I am not allowed to carry. The local courthouse and areas around public schools are also off limits. However, there is also a clause that says I cannot carry in or around a church or church grounds.

I have been lobbying my State representatives to introduce legislation to change this. You see, I work for a ministry of a church, and although I don’t actually work in the church, I work on the church grounds in another building. During most days, there are only women present on the grounds. Some of these women are middle aged or older. The grounds keeper and janitorial staff are men, but are not always there. I can tell you that in my many years here, I’ve seen some pretty threatening people come through. Panhandlers looking for a handout, drugged out kids snooping around looking for trouble, others just seeing what is sitting around that could be ripped off easily.

In light of the last few years’ news around the country of people coming into churches and opening fire on people, or kidnapping or assaulting individuals on church grounds, I feel I am being discriminated against by the State because I cannot exercise the same right to carry during my day at work as I am allowed to exercise everywhere else I go. I think I’ve convinced one of my representatives that I have a legitimate concern, and she is looking into the subject in order to introduce legislation to change this exemption.

Why would protecting myself or others from harm be less important on church grounds than in the rest of the world I live in? Do lawmakers in my state think I’m safer in church than elsewhere?

6 Shot at New Life Church

Church, Police Probe 7 Murders

Police Seek Leads in Shooting at Church

Shooting Raises Church Security Questions

Mass Shooting at Church in Knoxville Tennessee


One Person Killed after Shooting outside Church


Fort Worth, Texas Gunman Linked to Fascist Group


Gunman Kills 7 and himself at Baptist Church


Faith Under Fire – Church shootings on rise in U.S.


The Church Office – A Security Threat


I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

5 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger David Wyatt said...

Ms. Green,

Found your excellent blog from a post of yours at good ol' bro. Jack Weaver's "Ex-Preacherman's" blog & just wanted to congratulate you on your great blog & thoughts. I look forward to returning. Please feel free to visit my humble blog as well. You'll certainly feel at home whan you see it's design! May the Lord bless you.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Thanks, David. I'll definitely check out your blog. We all need to keep in contact and give each other encouragement.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Green

Great post -- and keep up the fight -- and the Gospel.

Seems to me a permit to carry should have NO exceptions. The permit assumes you are trained and qualified.

When I had a carry permit I believe we had no such restrictions.

Churches would seem to be an easy target for a weirdo.

In Christ eternally,

ExP(Jack)

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

It seems pretty wacky, especially in a state with concealed carry laws, that they would then highlight those places where weapons are forbidden. The idea of concealed carry goes beyond personal protection to also include deterrence, as the baddies just can't know who carries and who doesn't.

But what will always get you into the goofy debates, are those people who think that despite our Christian beliefs, that we should expose ourselves and our loved ones to danger in order to truly be in line with Christian teaching. I don't think this is supportable. In addition, it has been shown, by some knowledgeable people on the subject like Ted Nugent, that merely brandishing the weapon is usually enough to repel the attack.

You're on the right track. Keep up the good work. Sarah Palin would be proud.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger David Wyatt said...

Too many ignorant folk want to say that we should beat our swords (weapons--guns) into plowshares TODAY, but Jesus Himself told the disciples just before He went to the cross to sell their purses & but a sword! He knows the wickedness of the ever-darkening world. Certainly He does not espouse STARTING fights, but He would not be against defending your loved ones & God-given families when necessary. NOW is the day of beating our plowshares into swords (Joel 3:10). Only after Jesus returns & puts down all evil will the Day of beating our swords into plowshares begin (Mic.4:3). The word must be rightly understood & taught in context.
Y'all are a blessing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home