Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Letting Go

Sometimes, when you care about someone, and you see them self-destructing, you want to do something, but you aren't sure what. The familiarity of the relationship will often hinder anything contructive you might want to say or do to try to help them see what they are doing to themselves. It can be very painful. They are in pain, so they cause pain. You want to help, but they may not want help right now.

When the situation comes to a head, and a heated conversation takes place, sometimes that's the best time to back off and say, "You know what? You need to go this alone. You aren't where you need to be, and you don't want my help, so it's time for me to back out of this relationship for a while."

At that point, they might say "forget you" and break off the relationship- claiming you've seen the last of them. What they forget though, is that God is in control. He's never NOT in control. Even when He allows us to screw things up, it's because He ALLOWS it - NOT because He's not in control.

The best thing to do at this point is to turn to your Father and give the whole situation to Him. He can handle it. Not only can He handle it, but He can control it in any way He chooses. What better hands to put them in than His?

Still hurts though.

Labels:

Continue reading..

3 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger David Wyatt said...

Grat insight Ms. Green. So true that only God can really handle things. We can only see a razor-thin stretch of life, & we don't usually even understand the tiny portion that we DO see, while God sees & totally understands it ALL! (Is.46:10). Thanks for this timely reminder here at the crossroads of a new year. God Bless you in '09.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I've had to do that with two of my children. I kicked my daughter out when she refused to listen to me, and I had my son arrested.

My daughter has since become a very responsible adult and mother.

My son has apologized many times and repeats, "You were right, Dad, I should have listened to you" many times but still he has made mistakes and he is paying for them-- currently doing an 8 year stretch in the Missouri penal system.

But at least he understand what I've been trying to tell him for years now.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

if our kids only knew how much their actions affect their parents - not to mention their self destructionism. I understand, Mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home