Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Those Who Serve

Yesterday I was at Lowes buying some plants to replace the ones my brown thumb has managed to kill. I had a cart full, and had just finished keying in my pin number for my checkcard when something caught my eye to my left. I saw a man walk in, probably in his late fifties or early sixties wearing a cap that said "Vietnam Vet", and a jacket with information about where he served during the war.

I asked the cashier to do me a favor. "Would you mind letting me push my basket to the side here for just a minute? I need to do something real quick."

"No problem" she said.

I made my way back through the garden area and caught up with the man, who was standing there dutifully while his wife wandered off exploring discount plant prices.

"Excuse me, sir," I said. "Would you mind if I spoke with you for just a minute?"

He looked at me strangely, obviously wondering what I was up to. "Sure," he said.

"Sir, I noticed your cap, and I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for serving our country, and I want to apologize to you for the way our country treated you when you came back."

Tears welled up in his eyes, as though a flood of memories were about to burst out from behind them. "Thank you," he said, as he reached out to give me, a perfect stranger, a hug. "You don't know how much that means to me."

We didn't chit chat. There was nothing really left to say. I said what needed to be said, and his response said it all.

This morning, I relayed this story to a brother in Christ who also served in Nam. He too teared up and thanked me, and said it meant more than I knew.

We need to remember to thank our men and women of the armed services rather than allow the scumbags who criticize them, call them baby-killers*, and spit in their faces to be the dominant voices that they hear when they return.

In light of what I experienced yesterday, I wanted to share this...




*On a side note, have you ever noticed that those that scream "baby killers" at our servicemen and women are so often the same ones screaming about women's "rights" to "their own bodies", so that they may kill their own babies on a whim anytime they so choose? Ironic, it is.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

7 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Great post and encouragement for the rest of us.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous V said...

That's very nice of you.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Guys please. This was not supposed to be about me being nice. It was about the Viet Nam vets and the pain they carry over the way they were received when they came home. This is about our brave men and women who have served our country and deserve our thanks, our gratitude, our indebtedness. I didn't serve in the military. I fell in love, got married, raised a family, have a good life...in great part because of US military servicemen and women. Thanking them is the very least I or anyone else can do.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Rivka said...

I always thank a vet.. Not meaning to glorify me, but just to say whenever you see one, Thank him!!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Rivka,

I appreciate you stopping by. Yes, please always take time to thank a vet. It is because of the American soldier that we live in a free country. I believe that's one reason the liberals despise the military and want to destroy it.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Randy said...

Good find. I agree with the gentleman in the video and I'm glad that he is able to visit DFW to welcome home the soldiers. Like someone else mentioned, I try to thank the vets every chance I get. I'm on a vacation and toured a war museum in Charleston, SC. When I spoke to a vet for directions, he proudly told me of his service on a sub. I listened and asked questions. When I left, I thanked him for his service.

Thank you for posting this and hopefully giving some people ideas. Next trip I make through Dallas, I'll see if I can find this man's "group" and stand in line to thank some soldiers. Even if I only have a few hours, it will be worth it.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Randy, thanks for your comments. It would be pretty awesome to participate with the others at DFW airport. If you do it, come back and tell us about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home