Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Be an Overcomer

There is so much going on in the world today that is wrong/out of control/evil/unfair, that one could easily throw their hands up and give up. Yes, we're to stand against wrong and stand boldly for our faith, but "overcome"? That's a bit overwhelming to even think about.
The Bible has some very specific things to say about overcoming the world.
Jesus was the first to overcome.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33


God has made some very specific promises to those of us who are overcomers.

"… To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." (Rev. 2:7)


"... He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." (Rev. 2:11)


"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." (Rev. 3:5)


"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (Rev. 3:21)


And my personal favorite...!

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." (Rev. 21:7)


So what do we have to DO to overcome? How many good works must we perform? How will we ever know in this life if we have done enough to be an overcomer in God’s eyes? Do we have to be “Super Christian”?

God is not only specific in His promises.
He is also specific in His requirements to be called an overcomer:

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 John 5:4-5)


This is a spiritual battle, not a worldly one (*Ephesians 6:12)

Do your best to fight the good fight. Stand boldly for your faith. Try to live a godly life. But know that you will fall, you will fail, and the world will sometimes beat you down. But whatever you do, don't try to do it in your own strength. Admit you'll never be perfect. Don't try to earn a place in heaven. Be set free. Be an overcomer!

*Ephesians 6:12: "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Labels:

Continue reading..

5 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Great advice, Ms Green. Thanks, your words encourage me.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

D.Daddio, most of the words aren't my own...they encourage me too! Thanks for taking the time to say so.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Praise God! And thank you Ms Green. I've been very discouraged of late.. illness, loneliness, and friendless.

Everywhere I've gone lately... Church, radio, television, internet, even in my bible study and prayer, I've been confronted with the reality of Spiritual Warfare.

I've just about come to the conclusion that debating the bible online is pointless. Debate is not what I'm called to do, and I think it's been more of a distraction than a means of growth. Besides which, the debate never ends, it becomes rude, and no one is converted (that I can see).

It's like witnessing (something I need to start doing)... there are times when the Gospel should not be presented, especially when it is one or two or three on one, and all are openly hostile and mocking toward God. It's a, not giving what's holy to dogs, kinda thing. In a larger crowd you can never tell who may be hearing and genuinely taking it in, despite hecklers, so the Gospel MUST be given.

It's the same way at my place. I can't possibly know how many people stop by and read, and might be convinced, but choose not to comment.

But it's discouraging. I think I'm in way over my head.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

elashley, I've been to your site enough to know that you try very hard to keep conversations friendly and respectful - but you can't control others' behavior.
We all get discouraged and feel like we're in over our head - and if we try to do God's work on our own, we ARE in over our heads. It is only by total submission to His Holy Spirit that we can be conquerors. I pray often for the fullness of His Spirit so that I'm doing His will and not my own."...We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29)
God may be allowing you to go through these trials right now for a specific purpose. Remember that He's right there in them with you. Trust Him and ask Him for the peace that only He can give you.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost."(Romans 15:13)
I'll be praying for you.

 
At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God I am an overcomer!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home