Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, June 4, 2006

Personal Observation - Focusing on Self

Ever have one of those days when things just don’t “feel right”? You can’t quite put your finger on it, but everything that happens is just a little off-center, slightly different than what you expected, or a total surprise that catches you off guard. You feel disconnected. Almost as though you are standing to the side as a bystander, watching yourself and your day go by. At the end of the day, you feel like something was missing. But again, you can’t quite decide what that “something” was.

Today was one of those days for me. Exhaustion almost kept me from going to the worship service this morning. Thought my heart might stop from fatigue…but of course it didn’t. As always, the sermon was just what I needed, and I learned practical ways to apply God’s Word into my life and be more successful in what I do. I slept a short 1 ½ hours this afternoon after lunch and woke up even more fatigued than when I lay down. The service tonite was even better and more powerful than this morning’s. One of our youth sang a song tonite that asked, Who is your Jesus? Is He the Jesus of the Bible, or is He someone you’ve made up to fit your own idea of Who He should be? Would you recognize Him if you saw Him on the street? Or would you cross the street to avoid Him? Would He like your church? Jesus spent His time with the downtrodden, the sinners, the poor, and those that the Pharisees looked down on. Do you picture Jesus as a brown or blonde-haired, blue-eyed man smiling down on you from the cross? The Jesus of the Bible was beaten beyond human recognition and His blood spilled for you. It wasn’t a pretty picture. And He did it all for you. And for me.

I think I know now why I didn’t “feel right” today. I spent the day looking for something for me, when what I should have done was look for something for me to do for someone else. So I wasted my day by focusing on me.
"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God" II Corinthians 3:5

Labels:

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many churches use the "self pleasing" ideas, programs and selfish attitudes. Soon many that attend such a church will follow and become selfish in all their dealings with others. One time I traveled over 100 miles to attend a church program. After I asked the pastor if there was a small church around the area that might need help, he told me to "go home." I had nothing at home except selfish unloving churches but soon found they existed 100 miles away also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home