Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm back - Part 3

So my sister is gone. She beat me out of here. But she left behind something...or should I say someone? An 11-year old son. The Father? He's never been in the picture but for a short time. Told his son he wished he'd never been born - and that he wasn't interested in being his father. Real jerk. Hope he gets saved, and I mean that sincerely. If he doesn't, I suspect hell will be a little hotter for him than some others.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

So the father is not in the picture. My husband and I are. Years ago, before she had any idea she'd get cancer, my sister called me out of the blue and asked if my husband and I would agree to raise her son if something were to happen to her. I told her we'd have to discuss it and pray about it, and then get back with her.

After a week or two of talking about it and praying, my mate said, "Of course we'd take him. He's family. Who else would do it?"

He's really a great kid. Lots of emotional and behavioral issues - but progress is being made. He's really intelligent too - we have to stay on our toes with this guy. It's been about a month since my sis moved on, and he's starting to settle in with us and we are making the transition into a new blended family.

The other day I had him checking the fridge and cabinets for things to put on my grocery list. "You guys have 2 cans of Rotel left. You've got less than a half gallon of milk..." I stopped him.

"You are going to eventually have to stop saying 'you' and start saying 'we'. After all, you aren't a guest here anymore. You're here to stay."

He paused a moment without responding, then opened another cabinet door. "We've only got half a box of cereal. We need to get some more."

It's gonna be ok.
Continue reading..

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Neil said...

Ms. Green - that's beautiful!

My condolences on your sister. Sounds like she was a believer. Praise God for that.

Glad you're back!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Thanks, Neil. It's good to be back. I'm praying for some sort of "normalcy" to come back into my life.

Ha. I never had it before. Why would I think it would come back??

:)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Brian said...

First, many condolences to you. I am comforted to know of your faith and the faith of your sister, it might not make the loss any less, but it certainly increases the hope!

I will be keeping your family and your sister's son--who is now a part of your family--in my prayers. It's so wonderful that you and your husband can be there for him.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger nanc said...

i'm so saddened to hear of your loss.

i didn't realize from the next post up as to how you ended up with an 11 year old - my apology.

my own sister passed away four years ago this past april 5 - thank the Good Lord she'd already reared her son - you are good to do this for your sister.

may she shine through him and may you both learn more for having known her.

once again, my condolences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home