Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jesus Christ - the Alpha and Omega - God Himself

In Scripture, God frequently calls Himself “the first and the last”, and the “Alpha and Omega” (alpha and omega being the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet).

IN THE OLD TESTAMENT:

Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am He. Isaiah 41:4

Hearken unto Me, O Jacob and Israel, My called; I am He; I am the first, I also am the last. Isaiah 48:12

AND IN THE NEW TESTAMENT:

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Revelation 22:13

Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last:… Revelation 1:11

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

And He said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. Revelation 21:6

Is there any doubt that these verses in Revelation are referring to Jesus Christ? No. Jesus Christ is clearly God.

And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; Revelation 2:8



Now let’s look in the Old Testament again at another passage.

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon Me Whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for Him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for Him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. Zechariah 12:10

This prophetic verse was written about 500 years before Christ, and clearly refers to His crucifixion.

If you look at this verse in the Hebrew, it is even more fascinating.

In the original Hebrew, in between the words me and whom are two untranslated letters – aleph and tau – the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. So, this passage could actually be read

“…and they shall look upon Me [the Aleph and the Tau] Whom they have pierced

There is another place in the Old Testament where this occurs. It is in Genesis 1:1

In the beginning God, created the heaven and the earth.

In between the words God and created are the aleph and the tau. This same thing occurs seven times during the Genesis account of creation.

In the beginning, God [the aleph and the tau] created the heaven and the earth.

Which corresponds with John 1:1-3

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.


Jesus Christ. Our God. Creator of heaven and earth.

Our God is an awesome God.



References: Hidden Treasures by Chuck Missler, and Hebrew interlinear Bible

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

1 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

Fascinating stuff, Ms. Green. I had never heard of those insertions of the Hebrew letters before.

Somewhat related, Jesus refers to Himself as "I Am", which to the Jews would only be interpreted as Jesus claiming to be God.

Some people actually say that Jesus never did claim to be God. I guess they were looking for a quote like, "Hey guys, I'm God!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home