Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Did Jesus Claim to be God?

Did Jesus really claim to be God?

Say what you will about the Bible. Say what you will about Jesus. But don’t say that He didn’t claim to be God. And don’t say the Bible doesn’t claim He is God.

Two of the cults that deny the deity of Jesus are the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Mormons. But they are proven wrong by the book they claim to believe in.

Jesus was no ordinary man. He led a sinless life. He healed the sick. He raised the dead. He spoke wisdom unheard of before. He endured extreme pain, torture and humiliation voluntarily without defending Himself. He loved as no man has ever loved because He loved His enemies as well as His friends.

Not just anyone could go to the cross and take our sin and shame upon themselves. No mere man could do it. Even if there was a perfect and sinless man, he could still only die for one man. God, being infinite, was the only one Who could take the punishment for all mankind.

What does the Bible say about this man, Jesus? What did He say about Himself? How did the Jews react when He said many of the things He said? They understood well that He proclaimed Himself to be God. That is why He was killed.

In Isaiah 42:8, God said “I am the Lord: that is My Name, and My glory will I not give to another.” In other words, God does not allow anyone else to share in His Glory.

Jesus, in John 17:5 says “And now, O Father, glorify Thou Me with Thine Own Self with the glory which I had with Thee before the world was.”

Is Jesus blaspheming God here? He is claiming the glory of God. He is claiming that He once shared the glory of God before the world began. He does this because He is God.



In John 8:58, Jesus said “Before Abraham was, I AM.” I AM is the name God gave to Moses when Moses asked “Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?”, God replied, “I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”
So, when Jesus said “I AM”, was He being blasphemous? Or was He declaring His deity?



Matthew 28:18: Jesus said “…All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” Only God has ALL power in heaven and in earth.

In Genesis 1:1, it says “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

Colossians 1:16 says of Jesus, “For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him:”

If Genesis 1:1 says God created the heaven and the earth, and Colossians 1:16 says Jesus created all things, then Jesus is clearly God.

Remember Stephen, who was stoned while Saul of Tarsus looked on approvingly? What did he say as he was dying? Acts 7:59: "And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Stephen was clearly calling Jesus God.


In Isaiah 43:3, God says, "For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour..." and later, in 43:11, "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."

Mary herself recognized that the child she carried was God. “And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name."

Luke said of Jesus’ birth, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”

The Samaritans said, “And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.”

God said that He alone is the Saviour.

Jesus was and is the Saviour.

Jesus is God.

Labels: ,

Continue reading..

6 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly I don't care. What's most important is to live a responsible, clean, value-driven life. That's the true path to God. If people are perverts, liers, haters or not living a clean life - it doesn't matter which faith you belong to.
-V

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

I used to think that too. But that's not the way God sees it according to the Bible. God says we all fall short of His glory (His sinless perfection and holiness). We all sin. He is not a respector of persons. Unless I realize that I am a sinner who is undeserving of heaven, and come to God through Jesus Christ by trusting Jesus's death and resurrection as my payment for my sin, I can't get into heaven.

God doesn't have a big set of scales up in heaven to weigh our good deeds against our sins. If we have even one sin, we are not worthy to enter into His presence. That's why He sent Jesus Christ to take our place in our punishment for our sins. And that's why it is essential that we understand Who Jesus really was.

Those of the Muslim faith believe that God does have a big set of scales up there in heaven, and they think they can never know for sure if they are going to heaven - unless of course they manage to die while killing a few Christians and Jews..then they think they are assured heaven.

The God Muslims believe in does not love them. The God I serve and believe in loves me so much He died for me.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We disagree here. I don't want to get into Christian Vs Muslim Vs other faiths either.

Being good has nothing to do with what book you read or follow. Good values, good ideas and good behavior - these are all universal values.

Believing in God is up to each individual. But, what i truly don't want to see is...start comparing religions and Gods to see whose god is better.

Let's be good and respectful to each other.

Peace.
- V

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

I respect your right to disagree with me - and I enjoy discussing my faith and will do so on my blog as I'm led. I also want to be respectful and expect the same from my guests. So as of right now, we're on the same wave length.

We can disagree and still be respectful..

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody is trying or nobody can stop you from writing what you want in your blog. I was only expressing how I felt about the whole thing. It's your blog, your views and your life. It's all your choice. I respect but disagree.
- V

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

No problem. I pray you will change your mind one day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home