Thinking Out Loud - Ms. Green

Commentaries from a female, conservative Christian worldview. Intermittent observations on human behavior and current events. Occasional bursts of personal tirades,confessions, and discoveries. Frequent discussions about my "Narrow-Minded Faith".

<< Back to Main Page

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Anonymity vs Alias

The Internet, and especially the blogosphere, is full of people who, for one reason or another, choose an alias by which to be recognized, or choose to be anonymous.

There are several reasons for using an alias.

Some people are extremely shy and would be embarrassed if anyone who knew them read anything that they wrote.
Some have jobs that would be affected if their true identity were revealed.
Some are people who are not able to be themselves around others, and an alias allows them to be free to express themselves honestly.
Some are fearful of others. Quite frankly, that’s not an unrealistic reason. There are all types of people on the ‘net, and all of them are not nice people. You read stories all the time about predators, stalkers, and criminals seeking their next victim online.

There is one thing about people who choose an alias. You know where they are. You know where they stand. You can visit their place. They have a home base. They are knowable, even if their true identity remains veiled. I frequent other blogs, and sometimes post comments. Though I use an alias, anyone who wants to can follow me back to here, my place, and see who I am and where I stand. I'm not hiding who I am, because my name is not who I am.

There are several reasons for anonymity. Some of the reasons listed above apply.

However, there is at least one additional reason that doesn't fall into the categories above.

Agenda.



One thing about most people who choose anonymity. They are hiding. They don’t have a home base. They are unknowable. You can never be sure which “anonymous” you are dealing with unless you have some sort of tracking software that lets you know who is visiting your site. The truth is, the most vicious, the most aggressive, and the most volatile online are more often than not in the anonymous class. Anonymity to them is power. It gives them a strategic advantage, moving in and striking quickly and then retreating into the background, watching and hoping their attack did some damage. Most anonymous posters have very little positive to say about anything or anyone. They are not constructive. They are destructive.

There are a few exceptions, like Herm, and Mom2, and some others that I know frequently visit here. They are consistent. They always let us know who they are. They are knowable. They aren’t hiding anything.

I’ve always allowed anonymous guests on this site. This decision is similar to what the Bible says about grace.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid... ”

What Paul is saying here is that just because we who have been born again are saved and no longer in condemnation, secure in our salvation for all eternity, that does not give us a license to sin and take advantage of that grace.

In other words, if you try to post here anonymously, remember that just because I allow anonymous posts, that does not mean it gives you free license to say or do whatever you choose. Mind your manners.

Labels:

Continue reading..

7 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

My real name is shown on my profile. There is no secret there. I use another name more as a nom de plume than to remain anonymous. I can even be contacted via email. Some people use their entire names and even give their addresses. I see no reason to go that far, and frankly, I don't think the Mrs. would be comfortable knowing I give such info out to strangers.

I don't mind that some prefer not to reveal themselves. To each his own, and for those who do so in order to allow themselves to be as rude as possible, they're just cowards and losers who would rightly be ashamed to expose themselves after saying such stupid things. However, I'd prefer they come up with SOME kind of alias other than "anonymous" so that we can tell which coward it is. But then, that's part of their cowardice. They don't even want to separate themselves anonymously so they purposely choose that word knowing others do as well. Losers.

Just to be clear, there are a couple, like Mom2, who use "anonymous" but then sign their comments. That's different.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Some are fearful of others.

I use a pseudonym because of the safety factor. Already where I work, a place which exposes Islam as a dangerous ideology, has received threats and has a high level of private security. In America! I dare not put my students in more danger by revealing my real name.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

AOW,

I totally understand. My reasons for using an alias are similar to yours.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense - I see no difference whether you post as an anonymous or Ms.Green with picture of one eye. Both are different forms of same mindset(applicable to me as well). Why not be honest about it instead of trying to justify?
- V

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Ms. Green claims responsibility for everything she says and does online. Anonymous posters who give no indication of who they are or even if they are the same anonymous one time as another shirk responsiblity for their actions. You are anonymous, but you are "V", so you claim your remarks and actions as your own. You are different from the ones I am referring to.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Marshal Art said...

It seems I erred. My profile does NOT list my real name. I was thinking of a different blogger page that I see often when posting an article on my own blog. So, I remain a mystery man except to a select proud and lucky few. However, it does provide the means to email me. Sorry for the bad info.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ms.Green said...

Sorry for the bad info.

Honest mistake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home